Focal Points ALeRT™ Newsletter March, 2022
Focal Points ALeRT™ Newsletter March, 2022
Welcome to the March 2022 edition of the Focal Points ALeRT newsletter.
Over the past year, we consulted with operators, regulators, and others to make sure ALeRT continues to meet your current and evolving player protection needs. Thank you to everyone who provided input. We hope you are excited by the changes added to ALeRT to support player safety and responsible gaming for your business and your customers.
Read on to see key milestones, plus a look at what’s coming soon for operators and other new developments.
Year in Review
Report Release: Evaluation of Safer Gambling Customer Interactions by UK Casino
Coverage for Electronic Roulette Added to UK ALeRT System (ER Models)
- Player protection by ALeRT was extended to coverage of customers playing electronic roulette (ER). These new models
are already launched in the UK.
June 2021 - Present
Research Started to Add Table Games to ALeRT™
- In addition to slots and ER, Focal is working with multiple operators to develop effective models for identifying risk among Table Game players.
Affordability Models to Detect Over-Spenders
- The use of rule-based thresholds such as money spent is inefficient in finding the right people. To address the gap Focal developed sophisticated algorithms to accurately find and assist those most likely to be spending beyond affordable limits.
Evidence-based Improvements Made to the ALeRT™ Customer Interaction Survey
- Based on the research findings and staff feedback changes were made to the survey to include more detailed observations, automated interaction level assignment and to make it easier for staff to complete.
Active POI Reporting Added to the ALeRT™ Dashboards for Daily, Weekly, or Monthly Data Uploads
- Operators can start monitoring interactions with players of interest (POIs) as soon as the first play day after identification with daily, weekly, and monthly data uploads available.
Impact Evaluation Indicators Added to ALeRT™ Player Reports
- This new feature includes key indicators operators can use to assess the impact of safer gambling initiatives in reducing customer risk and harm.
POI endpoint added to ALeRT™ Connect API
- This allows simplified retrieval of POIs identified by ALeRT™ for use with other operator systems and lets you filter by and receive detailed information about the POI.
Report Release: The Focal ALeRT™ Affordability Index – Finding Overspenders Among Regular EGM Gamblers
- Regulators recognize that some gamblers spend more money than they can afford while gambling, leading to negative consequences, including the use of misappropriated funds to finance the activity. Identifying these customers has become a priority for operators by poses several challenges as affordable limits vary strongly between players.
Research: Creating Smart RG EGMs – Development of Effective Models for Identifying At-Risk Play in Real-Time
- Focal is conducting an international, multi-operator research project to identify more sophisticated approaches for identifying at-risk players based on real-time machine data.
- This permits automated messaging and other RG actions to be linked to relevant play behaviour targeting the right customers with a meaningful message at the right time.
- Stage 1 is scheduled to be completed Q3 2022 with trials starting in Q4.
New ALeRT™ Staff Training modules and Dashboard Essentials Videos
- Videos, materials, and resources to support operators with their onboarding and ongoing use of ALeRT™ are being created and uploaded to the members portal as new features are added.
ALeRT™ User Activity Reporting in Development
- Starting Q2 management will be able to track and report on staff activity on the ALeRT™ system by individual user, by venue, or by user role (i.e., staff versus management).
- Interaction counts by level added to POI List.
- Player indicator/summary values now calculated “on-the-fly” instead of using precalculated values, resulting in reduction of database storage requirement and greater flexibility.
- Player age now displayed on Player Reports list in place of birth date.
Development is underway for an app to support staff in using ALeRT on the go. This new app will let staff monitor interaction targets, log customer interactions, and complete the interaction survey on the fly using mobile and digital devices. We will update you as more details become available.
New Focal Research Website Ready Soon
Focal is launching a new website in early Q2 to give you easy access to our research, reporting and resources. Looking forward to your feedback.
ALeRT™ Live in 300+ Locations by Q3 2022
We hope you will pass this along to your colleagues, and please let us know if you have any questions or would like to get in touch.
The Focal Research Consultants Team
Copyright © 2022 Focal Research Consultants Limited, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Focal Research Consultants Limited
7071 Bayers Rd Suite 309
Halifax, NS B3L 2C2